Attention nurse educators and learners! UbiSim has just launched an exciting update, that enhances the VR simulation experience. Here’s what our nurse educator had to say about the update:
“We are excited to add two more offerings to our catalog of evidence-based, peer-reviewed scenarios that align with current clinical practice guidelines, the INACSL HSSOBP, NCSBN Next Generation NCLEX Test Plan, and the AACN Essentials domains. These scenarios empower nurse learners to hone their clinical judgment skills, adapt to real-world situations, and confidently navigate the complexities of patient care. In addition, new supplies, features, and assessment findings offer educators more flexibility to create and customize learning experiences with our intuitive Editor.” - Christine Vogel, MSN, RN, CHSE, CHSOS
Here are some of the new scenarios, features, and fixes that you can look forward to in UbiSim Version 1.9:
Two new UbiSim scenarios are available
Note that all scenarios have been updated and aligned to the NCSBN Next Generation NCLEX!
- Nadia Carter - Pyelonephritis: Learners use clinical judgment to prioritize care and manage urgency for a patient experiencing pyelonephritis who is overdue for her medications.
- Santiago Ramos - 8-year-old with ADHD: Learners assess and care for a pediatric patient with newly diagnosed ADHD during a follow-up clinic visit while providing family-centered support and education.
- This is our first pediatric patient in the catalog under the mental health category.
- The supine position is now available for all patients. The bed controls allow movement to the 0 degrees/supine position.
- A new heart rhythm is available in the physio state settings: Supraventricular Tachycardia (SVT). The rhythm can appear on both the main monitor and the 12-lead EKG Machine.
- - An ice slurry pack can be applied to the face as an SVT intervention, stimulating the dive reflex, and has a related condition for use in transitions and feedback. (Please note that this icepack cannot be used in any other location at this time.)
- A new PPE checkbox option in the Editor allows you to specify use of a N95 for Aerosol Generating Procedures (AGPs) on the precautions poster.
- Results now show for presence or absence of hepatomegaly and splenomegaly when palpating the abdomen.
- 2 players can now stand on each side of the bed in multiplayer
- Enabling a participant to be interacting with the IV stand while another uses the supply cart, for example.
- This change also enables easier movement around the bed when a session is full with 3 participants
- Please Note: When multiplayer is enabled, there is now wider spacing between supply cart and IV Stand. When running sessions with only one active participant, please check multiplayer is disabled to ensure the spacing is correct.
- If useful to your institution, you can now upload UbiSim updates to all your headsets at once via the third party mobile device management (MDM) solution of your choice (e.g. ArborXR, Oculus for Business). The APK can be accessed from the update tab in the Admin section of the UbiSim web portal. If you do not use an MDM you can install your updates as usual.
Features Extended to Additional Rooms & Patients
- Foley Catheters, previously only available for our Obstetrics patient, are now available for all patients. They can start the scenario installed, or be installed during the scenario.
- The 12-Lead EKG Machine is now available for use in the exam (outpatient) room.
- Blood sample and blood culture can now be taken from the infant patient
- Blood products (packed red blood cells, plasma and platelets) can be administered to the infant patient
- Non-rebreather mask is available for infants
Fixes & Improvements
- Re-enabled joining of a session as a ghost observer when all active participant places are full
- Updated the Plasma and Platelet infusions to match the recent improvements made to Packed Red Blood Cells (updated label, delivery via Y-Tubing)
- The infant’s respiratory masks are smaller and fit her face better
- Improved the tubing to be smoother and adapt better to different patients
- Refactored the patient animator, which will ensure some rare, yet frustrating, issues no longer occur (such as the pill cup becoming stuck in the patient’s hand)
- The facilitator chat is now saved to the facilitator view replay, which can provide helpful context when reviewing the replay
- The name of the user performing the action is shown in the event log of the facilitator view
- Various other UX improvements across the experience
UbiSim's Version 1.9 is an exciting product launch that will make the simulation experience even more realistic and engaging. Whether you are a nurse educator or nurse learner, these new features and improvements are sure to enhance your training experience.
Try UbiSim today and see the benefits yourself!